Sunday, March 20, 2022

adjective clause

Adjective clauses:

 

Here are some examples of adjective clauses from the reading “Social Networking Makes Twits of Us All”.

 

1. I had to politely step over her legs while she kept a steady stare on what must have been the most interesting thing she’s ever laid eyes on. 

 

2.  Users are spending time maintaining relationships with people they don’t really care about. 

 

3.  Dr. Laura as she is known to her many fans, believes that social networking has replaced the intimate interactions which used to occur within most American families.

 

4.  Families do not enjoy the special bond that comes from intimate interaction with those who are closest to us.  (subject pronoun)

 

5.  Will that practice cause you to forget about proper grammar and everything else you learned in grade school about writing and politeness when you email a potential employer? 

 

 

Adjective clauses:  They are a type of dependent clause which modifies a noun. 

 

1.   With subject pronouns:  who, which, that 

Joe Biden has been in politics for many years.  He is president of the US.

 

 

                    S     V

Joe Biden, who is president of the US, has been in politics for many years. 

 

 

The writing assignment was confusing. It was about social networking.

 

The writing assignment that was about social networking was confusing.

 

 

Combine these two sentences making the second one into an adjective clause:

 

My friend uses Facebook every day.  She posts pictures of her two sons.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

      2. With object pronouns:  whom (who), which, that and blank 

 

Examples:

   I enjoyed the ESL class.  I took it last quarter.

 

                                                   

I enjoyed the ESL class which I took last quarter.

I enjoyed the ESL class that I took last quarter.

I enjoyed the ESL class I took last quarter.  (blank)

 

 

The book was about the beginning of the universe.  I read it last night. 

                     

The book which I read last night was about the beginning of the universe.

The book that I read last night was about the beginning of the universe.

The book I read…..

 

Combine these two sentences making the second one into an adjective clause:

 

The student had a lot of questions.  I helped her yesterday. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Punctuating adjective clauses:

 

Mr. Norman, whom I took ESL 253 with, taught me a lot.

 

My mom, whom I saw yesterday, brought me dinner.

 

My mom, who got her Covid vaccine several months ago, was so happy to be able to spend time with her family again. 

 

My friend who has two boys works from home.

 

Lacie, who has two boys, works from home.

 

My brother, who lives nearby, is a teacher. How many brothers do I have?

 

My brother who lives nearby is a teacher. How many brothers do I have?

 

 

 

The woman that I saw yesterday brought me dinner. (no commas)

 

***Use commas with proper nouns. 

 

 

**You can not use “that” in a sentence which requires commas. 

***You cannot omit the object pronoun in a sentence which requires commas.

 

 

       3. With “whose” to show possession.

The student got an A.  Her paper was very clear.

 

The student whose paper was very clear got an A. 

 

Combine the following:

The teacher lives near De Anza.  I’m taking his class on Mondays and Wednesdays. 

 

 

 

 

 

Now, do some practice with adjectives clauses.   You will work in a break out room.  

 

Topic:  social networking

 

Use: who, whom, which, that, blank, whose

*I also want you to write a couple of sentences which require commas. 

 

     Example:

   Jan, who is my sister-in-law, keeps in touch with our relatives in Kentucky through Facebook.

  

 

 

 

 

 

Homework for Tuesday:

 

1.   Do chapter 8 on adjective clauses in your textbook, pages 89-98.  Do the pretest, self-check and exercises 1-4.

 

     2.  Write the revision of WA#1.  Be sure to look over the grading    rubric and make the changes that I noted. (gender inequality/equality)

 

 

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

tumutuous

  making a loud, confused noise; uproarious.